Monday, March 17, 2008

Risotto tips

When aiming for that perfect creamy risotto, there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly, I make sure that my stock is kept warm and close at hand on the stove. I always use a good-quality risotto rice such as arborio or carnaroli. One thing that is totally wrong when making risotto's is to use short-grain rice, it will never have the same creaminess or texture as arborio. I always use onion as a base to the risotto. I dice it up really finely and then slightly caramelize the onion, sometimes also adding either a leek (cut finely) or some shallots. I then add some dry white wine, and cook off the wine. After a few minutes I add my arborio rice, followed by adding some stock, stirring, add more stock, stirring..... About half way through my risotto cooking - say after about 8 minutes, I add my ingredient to texture and add flavour and interest to my dish, and this is where you can be creative. Sometimes I add some slow roasted pumpkin, or if you're making a seafood risotto some prawns and scallops. You can really add whatever your heart desires. I then add some more stock and continue to stir and cook risotto. I've never actually taken the exact time to make a risotto, but guessing I'd say about 18/20 minutes. Depending on what risotto I have made I will also stir through some parmagiano regiano cheese at the end - however this is a big no no if I am making a seafood risotto. The I serve up the risotto :) I will post some pics soon when I make my next risotto :)

No comments: