Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oven-baked risotto with italian sausages



After the heat wave in Melbourne it's great to have a much cooler day today. And along with the cooler weather, comes indulgent foods like beautiful soups and rustic risotto's. I say rustic because I like the 'not so perfect' look of a dish, the sort of dish that your nonna may have served up 40 years ago in the village in Italy! As I love to make risotto's, I thought it was about time to try a risotto with some sort of meat. I love veggies in my risotto; leeks, roasted pumpkin, asparagus..... I also love sundried tomatoes. I came across a recepe in 'COOK' for an oven-baked risotto with italian sausage. So here it is:

1 litre chicken stock
4 spicy italian-style sausages
1 tablespoon oil
40 g butter
2 large brown onions, chopped coarsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup semi-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan - but I like to use Parmagianno Romano

1. Preheat oven to 180
2. Bring stock to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
3. Heat large frypan and cook sauages until browned all over. I removed them and sliced them thinly, then fried them again for a few minutes to cook the meat through. Then remove and set aside.
4. Heat oil and butter in same dish; cook onion and garlic until soft. Add arborio rice and wine, cook on low heat, stirring, for about one minute.
5. In a baking dish (I use the corningware bakeware) put in rice mixture from pan, stock, cooked sausages and tomato. Cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring halfway through cooking.
5. Stir in cheese and fresh basil

Picture coming!

No comments: