Friday, February 6, 2009

Grilled zucchini with pumpkin and couscous











I have never really been a couscous fan - I guess I can say this as I have never really been introduced to it through my experience with food growing up in an Italian family. However, it was not until recently out at an italian restaurant that I had learnt that Couscous is used within Sicilian cooking - which makes sense, as it was introduced by visitors to the italian island from both Africa and eastern Europeon countries.
Trying to cook healthier meals lately, I came across a recipe for couscous with grilled zucchini and pumpkin in the Women's Weekly 1,000 best ever recipe cookbook. The recipe contains lots of spices, and I will definately be making this dish in the future, in fact it has become one of my quick mid-week regular meals, as the left overs are perfect for lunch the next day :)
Ingredients:
1 cup couscous
1 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 clove garlic
1 small red onion
2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 small red capsicum, chopped finely
300g piece pumpkin, chopped finely
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
6 medium zucchini or 2 large zucchini, halved lengthways
Lemon Yoghurt:
1 cup greek style yoghurt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Method:
1. Make yoghurt
2. Combine couscous with the water and juice in a large heatproof bowl, cover, stand for about 5 minutes or until water is absorbed, fluffing with fork occassionaly.
3. Heat oil in large saucepan; cook nuts, stirring, until lightly browned. Add garlic, onion and spices; cook, stirring, until onions soften. Add capsicum and pumpkin; cook, stirring, until pumpkin is tender. Stir in couscous and parsley.
4. Meanwhile, cook zucchini on heated grill plate until just tender (or BBQ)
4. Serve zucchini topped with couscous and drizzled with yoghurt.
5. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes said...

Hi Michelle,
I've just discovered your blog and it's awesome! Very yummy recipes! And we seem to have a lot in common, I too am a Melbourne gal, Italian and LOVE food.