Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tropea
















Tropea, located on the coast of Calabria, Italy, is the birth place of my dad. I first went to Tropea when I was 16 and fell in love with the enchanted little town. To the left is a picture of the famous church, which was actually once surrounded entirely by water. Above is a pic of old tropea, stunning homes built directly on the cliff. The town is a famous bathing place, situated on a reef, in the gulf of St. Euphemia connected with the mainland by a narrow strip in the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Many small towns around Tropea produce a particular quality of red onion (picture above). In Italy these onions are so famous that cipolla di Tropea ("Tropea onion" or "Tropea's onion") has become an Italian synonym for all red onions today. They are super sweet to eat.

6 comments:

SigmaTE said...

Those are superb photos! Never tried those onions before.

Ruby Anne P. said...

Hi,

I visited your site and found it very interesting. I appreciate the way you talk about food. With this, I'd like to give a $10 discount voucher to your site which your visitors could use in their take-away orders placed on our website (from 500+ restaurants Australia-wide). All they have to do is just type the voucher code(which will be provided to you upon response to this message) at the check out.

Thanks,
Ruby Anne (ruby@menulog.com.au)

Anita said...

What an absolutely fantastic view!!!! Great photos.

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes said...

So gorgeous Michelle! My family is also from a place in the Tyrrhenian Sea called the Island of Elba. Such a gorgeous part of the world (and such yummy food!)

Mecino said...

Cherry Blossum Cupcakes - my dad speaks very highly of where your family is from, he says it is beautiful.... I wish I was there right now :)

Mish Delish said...

What a magnificent looking town. Does it have a regional dish using the onions?

Love your blog btw.